Construction Update September 4, 2020
If you have general questions about COVID-19 or want more information, please view the information provided by the Region of Waterloo .
If you have questions about this construction project related to the current COVID-19 pandemic, please review the information provided by the Region of Waterloo on the Construction and Road Closures page.
On Friday, September 4th, 2020 (revised date) the Region’s contractor Navacon Construction Inc. will temporarily close King Street to eastbound traffic between Lowther Street and Bishop Street for approximately 8 weeks. One-way traffic in the westbound direction will continue to be permitted during this stage of the work. The Region will provide a signed detour route for eastbound traffic (including heavy trucks) using Eagle Street, Hespeler Road and Bishop Street. View the Detour Map here.
Access to businesses and residential properties on both sides of King Street will be maintained within the closure limits, but traffic will only be permitted to travel in the westbound direction.
Progress Since Last Update:
- General clean up in Stages 1 and 2 is nearly complete.
- The roadway in Stage 3 has been paved (north side of King Street).
- Detours and signage have been placed, traffic has been moved to the north side of King Street travelling Westbound only.
- Temporary watermain works have started in Stage 4 (between Chestnut Street and Bishop Street).
Upcoming Work over the next few weeks:
- Asphalt and curb removals are scheduled next week for the rest of Stage 3 and Stage 4 (south side of King Street).
- Temporary watermain works and connections will ongoing, with sanitary works following in Stage 4 (south side of King Street between Chestnut Street and Bishop Street).
- Permanent watermain works will also commence in Stage 3 (south side of King Street between Laurel and Chestnut Street)
We appreciate the community's continued understanding as we complete this important work.
Every reasonable effort is being made during construction to minimize disruption and complete the work efficiently and cost effectively. We thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Curb being placed in Stage 3
Road curb being placed in Stage 3
Large water service being installed in Stage 3
New parking lane curb in Stage 3
Forms for new lid on old manhole in Stage 3
New manhole lids poured in Stage 3
Conduit install for traffic signals in Stage 3
Fine grading road in Stage 3
Trench drain and curb installed in Stage 2
Start assembling temporary watermain in Stage 4
Fine grading the road in Stage 3