Spring 2021 construction update
The third component of the Waterloo Park Silver Lake and Laurel Creek Improvement project is scheduled to begin the week of May 25th, 2021. The Laurel Creek and Silver Lake restoration works are nearing completion! This third portion of the project will see the transformation of the north shore park area and will include:
- Removal of the old infrastructure and buildings related to the former splash pad
- Massive regrading of the north shore slope area. The existing Park Inn and adjacent parking area is currently isolated and cut off from the lake physically and visually. The proposed landscape design for the north shore slope area will better connect the newly restored Silver Lake feature to the surrounding broader park area.
- A new focal fountain feature, beach area and seating areas
- Upgrades to the Park Inn area including: restoration of the asphalt parking lot, a bio-swale drainage feature, pergola and updated seating area
- Upgrades to underground storm sewer infrastructure and servicing to the Park Inn
- Updated and improved electrical servicing and lighting around the lake
- New plantings and landscaping around the lake
The City has retained Gateman Milloy Inc. to complete the construction works. The work is scheduled to begin the week of May 25, 2021, and is estimated to be done in July 2022. During construction, the Park Inn and nearby parking lot and playground area will be closed. The park access road from Young Street will be for authorized vehicles only. Trails around the lake will be closed while the final asphalt and landscaping work is done. Signs will be posted to indicate any closures and/or detour routes.
Construction activity will generally happen Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. There may be occasions where work is required to occur later, until 7 p.m., or possibly on a Saturday. Heavy construction equipment will be needed to complete the various improvement works, which will disturb certain areas around the lake. All work will be performed on public lands and any disturbed areas will be restored and re-vegetated at the earliest opportunity.
We appreciate everyone's cooperation and understanding during this important Waterloo Park improvement work. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the project team.